Friday, July 6, 2012

A Little Inspiration to Get or Stay Natural!

The problem with natural hair is the same problem
facing our natural rainforests, our ice caps and threat-
ened species all over the planet. Everyone admits they
  are beautiful but few are willing to make the
 sacrifices necessary to protect and care for them. 
So,
 we continue on with our destructive ways, we 
call
 them progress...modern...and we convince our-
selves that destruction is as inevitable as breathing.
They say there's a natural hair revolution. I am not sure I agree with that. Revolution has been defined as a "forcible overthrow of government or social order", and that is not akin to what is happening all over the world right now. The conversion of so many black women from relaxed hair has been a slow one, but the inspiring thing is it's happening. Every day (I would hope), one black girl or woman decides to do away with the corrosive substance we've been slathering onto our fragile hair for decades, and everyday, we all become a little more beautiful. Do you have any idea how many black women are unaware of the fact that every one of us has a unique curl pattern? Tons! And it's because the second we see growth we straighten it (chemically or otherwise).

 I decided to go natural at the end of my freshman year in college. All my life, my mother relaxed my hair. She was always insistent on using a relaxer that was mild. She would then put my hair in rollers to make it look straighter. First year of college, I attempted to relax my hair by myself and my hair really thinned. That was the shock I needed to go natural. Sadly, that's how countless natural hair transitions start, and it shouldn't be like that. More women should simply be inspired shortly after seeing a breath-taking head of natural hair. Two months ago, when I removed my crochet braids, I was astounded by how big and beautiful my curly hair had grown. I had an afro the size of a beach ball and the ironic thing is I had always thought that would look ridiculous. It wasn't ridiculous, it was ravishing. Full, long, curly, bouncy...healthy. It was everything I ever wanted from my own hair and so much more. Maintaining long natural hair gets hard and sometimes you just want to go back, I know. Just know though, there are a multitude of reasons why you shouldn't.
"Natural Beauty"
    

No comments:

Post a Comment